Orthanc webserver keeps asking for login/password

When running Orthanc with Configuration management using Docker Compose, opening localhost:8042 keeps asking for login/password forever.

Removing command: /run/secrets/ from the docker-compose configuration fixed the issue.

Any idea why the default configuration keeps asking for login/password forever?

Thx

You simply have to set the “AuthenticationEnabled” configuration option to “false”:
https://hg.orthanc-server.com/orthanc/file/Orthanc-1.9.6/OrthancServer/Resources/Configuration.json#l216

Here is how to accordingly adapt the “orthanc.json” the section of the Orthanc Book you referred to:

{
“Name” : “${ORTHANC_NAME} in Docker Compose”,
“RemoteAccessAllowed” : true,
“AuthenticationEnabled” : false
}

Regards,
Sébastien-

Thank you for your answer.

I was wondering why the default configuration keeps asking for login/password without displaying any webpage.
By removing command: /run/secrets/, the browser prompts once for login/password and display the webpage then.

You should check the logs of Orthanc at startup.

With the command line included:

Reading the configuration from: “/run/secrets/orthanc.json”

Remote access is allowed but “AuthenticationEnabled” is not in the configuration, automatically enabling HTTP authentication for security
====> HTTP authentication is enabled, but no user is declared. Creating a default user: Review your configuration option “RegisteredUsers”. Your setup is INSECURE <====

With the command line commented out:

Reading the configuration from: “/etc/orthanc/orthanc.json” (which is the default configuration file)

Remote access is allowed but “AuthenticationEnabled” is not in the configuration, automatically enabling HTTP authentication for security
====> HTTP authentication is enabled, but no user is declared. Creating a default user: Review your configuration option “RegisteredUsers”. Your setup is INSECURE <====

To me, both setups are identical and this is what I observe too.

BTW, if you’re planning to use Orthanc with Docker, I recommend these resources: https://bitbucket.org/osimis/orthanc-setup-samples/src/master/

Best,

Alain