Message of Thanks

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Orthanc developers and the Orthanc community. I am still in the evaluation and testing phase, replacing about 25 DCM4Chee instances using TLS with Orthanc using possibly Peers. So far beyond the peer testing, Orthanc is simply amazing, streamlined, easy to develop against with the REST API’s, and the community and developers have been active and helpful. Thank you very much and if/when we move forward with Orthanc I hope to contribute as much as I can back to the community.

Dear Bryan,

Thanks for your kind message and for your support!

This is the kind of messages that are extremely important, fortifying to any free and open-source community.

Regards,
Sébastien-

Hello,

Would you be able to expand on your reasons to replace DCM4Chee (with Orthanc)? It is insightful to see the reasons that led to the decision to “abandon” an existing imaging solution.

Thank you!
Srey

Sure!
We are using DCm4Chee as a temporary storage at customer sites which then gets forwarded towards our “true” PACS. For us it is not long term storage. So far my issues with DCM4Chee in this scenario are:

• Bulky/Cumbersome . A huge footprint for a small role with a-lot of moving pieces, trying to troubleshoot issues or find the perfect configuration is very difficult.

• Performance issues. As we compress images lossless before sending we are stuck with not only Java 7, but 32Bit Java, resulting in issue such as crashing if we delete too may images through web. We and customers have concerns with Java 7 being loaded and used on servers.

• Minimal customization. Not many options for “hooks” into it. For example with Orthanc and the REST API/Lua Scripting, I am taking studies that have arrived, and querying for prior ones, along with forwarding study information, etc quickly and easily and so far in testing at least has worked well.

• Upgradability - Our current prior option is a custom within DCM4Chee 2.x. Because of that we cannot upgrade and would have to start from scratch.
    From an Orthanc perspective, so far my concerns are:

• Possible performance issues related to sending DICOM images via Peers instead of DICOM-TLS as we do with DCM4Chee. Still investigating/testing this.

• No retry options on forwarding failure. Also still investigating…

Hello,

Just a personal note about the following item:

• No retry options on forwarding failure. Also still investigating…

Creating kind of an “advanced job queue” (with retry, cancel…) is a recurrent demand that is tracked on our roadmap:
https://bitbucket.org/sjodogne/orthanc/src/ad8f30fc28d15f0b243b4127b62c90cd73b48618/TODO#TODO-16

Technically, this can be implemented as a plugin. As soon as we manage to gather funding/donations, we could start the work on this topic.

Sébastien-

Thanks. Is there a link for where to send donations or is the best way to pay for support?

Dear Bryan,

Thanks again!

For the time being, the best way to financially help the open-source development of Orthanc is indeed by buying professional support from Osimis:
http://www.osimis.io/en/services.html

The Orthanc project itself currently does not have a donation button, but don’t hesitate to send me a private message if this of interest to you.

Regards,
Sébastien-

Hello,

Thank you for expanding on your experience regarding DCM4Chee in actual practice and additionally the aspects of Othanc that would make you pause in its adoption so far!
Keeping my eyes peeled, hope to hear back in future regarding outcome of evaluation.

Thank you!
Srey

Thank you!
Hi Sreyroat, Bryan
I use Orthanc & Osimis in conjunction with dcm4chee 2.x and 5.x
I have configured and deployed them. I am DICOM Sysadmin of all (29) Public Health Hospitals and a Nationwide PACS Central.
On the Osimis reference site http://www.osimis.io/en/ you will see all of your products that empower Orthanc (including the Lify Collaborative Platform). If you need help with the problems / tuning / migration of a scenario mixed with dcm4chee and Orthanc / Osimis, you can contact me or refer to the Osimis team, mentioning me. We have been working together in that area.
Best regards