Import Project in Visual Studio

Hello,

I am studying Orthanc and C language, never worked with Visual Studio, I see that the IDE used to develop Orthanc is Visual Studio, I would like to put together a abiente functional development, for the purpose of studying, knowing DICOM better and eventually contributes in some way, like to know how I can create an environment?

Working with Windows, I have already installed Visual Studio 2013, which more accurate?
Importing the Orthanc the Code Source in Visual Studio?

Thank you all!

Marcelo

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in contributing to Orthanc!

Actually, the Orthanc project does not use Visual Studio as an IDE: We simply use Emacs, g++ and gdb on a daily basis. When a visual debugging session is desirable, we sometimes switch to NetBeans.

However, Orthanc does compile fine using Visual Studio. Build instructions are available in the “INSTALL” file of the source distribution:
https://goo.gl/Ipz0Fz

Regarding the version, the official precompiled binaries are built using Visual Studio 9 2008 Express (32 bits), but newer versions should work as well.

Regards,
Sébastien-

Hello Sébastien,

Thank you! I’m happy just to see if I’m on the right track, I need to follow the path down and my room will be ready to build Orthanc?

Recalling that use Windows:

1. Install CMake;
  2. Install Python;
  3. Install Mercurial (that do not know what it does, I will study);
  4. Install 7-Zip;

Now I can download the source code and unpack in
“C: \ Orthanc \ src \ OrthancBuild”

Now, within the directory “C: \ Orthanc \ dev \ OrthancBuild” I can run:
cmake -G “MinGW Makefiles” -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Debug = c: \ Orthanc
mingw32-make

I’m in the right way?

Thank you!
Marcelo

Hello,

If you have Visual Studio at your disposal, I highly suggest you to use it instead of MinGW/MSYS, as the latter possibility is very slow on Windows. Personally, I only use MinGW to cross-compile from Linux.

Concretely, the steps would be as follows:

(1) Uncompress the source code to, say, “C:\Orthanc-1.0.0”
(2) Create the folder “C:\Orthanc-1.0.0\Build”.
(3) Open a DOS command-line prompt and type:

cd C:\Orthanc-1.0.0\Build

cmake -DSTANDALONE_BUILD=ON -DSTATIC_BUILD=ON -DALLOW_DOWNLOADS=ON -G “Visual Studio 9 2008” C:\Orthanc-1.0.0

This commands takes about 5 minutes, depending on your hardware.

Note that the string “Visual Studio 9 2008” (the so-called “generator”) depends on your version of Visual Studio. Using “Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64” would result in 64bit binaries. The full list of generators supported by your version of CMake can be obtained by typing:

cmake --help

(4) Once cmake has succeeded, open “C:\Orthanc-1.0.0\Build\Orthanc.sln” with Visual Studio, and build the solution. The compilation will take about 10 minutes.

HTH,
Sébastien-

I can not thank Sébastien, I hope to collaborate with you all soon, if I can help with something just talk! Currently my world is Java, but I will strive much to learn C ++.

You think to implement the worklist function in Orthanc?

Thank you.
Marcelo

:slight_smile:

Actually, DICOM worklists are already implemented:
https://orthanc.chu.ulg.ac.be/book/faq/worklist.html

You can find several ideas of how to contribute at the following locations:
https://orthanc.chu.ulg.ac.be/book/contributing.html

https://orthanc.chu.ulg.ac.be/book/faq/improving-interface.html

Regards,
Sébastien-

Sébastien sensational, thank you and congratulations!!! I hope to help soon …

Thank you!

Sorry so many questions you have had any problems using Orthanc in mission critical? With many images?

Do you think possible, a single server Orthanc meet many institutions?

Thank you!!!
Marcelo

Sorry so many questions you have had any problems using Orthanc in mission critical? With many images?

Currently, we are not aware of any such issue, especially if using the PostgreSQL plugin (which brings enterprise-ready features such as backup, redundancy, clustering…).

Do you think possible, a single server Orthanc meet many institutions?

I am unsure to understand your question, please could you restate it?

Sébastien-