I could use some quick help getting setup

I am trying to help a small office organize and make use of lots of ultrasound data for research purposes. Orthanc (I think) sounds like the best way to do this.

We have 3 GE Logiq ultrasound machines and I’m just at the step where I’m connecting one of them to the Orthanc server to be able to store.

In the GE config, we already have the server setup via IP address. I can ping the server no issue. Next step is to move on to the Dicom setup. I have input the AE title of the orthanc server here and checked to make sure that the ports matched and this is where I get confused because I can’t make the connection work.

If I just have a default config file, what would be the port I use on my GE machine to be able to store to the orthanc? 104? Or is it 4242? I think by typing this I just answered my own question but I’m curious to know. I was using 104 and I think after reading again it should have been 4242.

Also, would there be a way that I could configure Orthanc to go out to each of these ultrasound machines and gather all of the tests off of each machine? Does anyone know?

So I did find out that I configured the port wrong. We are waiting on GE to issue a trial dicom feature key to be able to test further. So all I was able to do was verify connectivity. But it appears to be working so far.

Can anyone answer my second question? Is it possible for Orthanc to request all studies from the ultrasound machines so we don’t have to go back and manually transfer everything one at a time?

Hi

The way of working is from the ultrasound equipment to Orthanc server. When the technician finishes doing the ultrasound, it is the technician who saves the study information on the server, not the server who searches for the information on the ultrasound equipment.

Hi

You can use the port you want, just configure it in the orthanc.json file and ensure that the server has that port open so that it can receive the data.

If you go to the Tomovision site. They have a freeware utility Dicomanage that will push studies to orthanc or any pacs in bulk

If you can access the ultrasound from a pc on your network and see the dicom directories you could do it that way, or if the GE will let you backup The dicom studies to a usb drive you can take that to a pc and use dicomanage to push. Also would peruse the GE manual to see if they let you push a study or date range en masse

Can anyone answer my second question? Is it possible for Orthanc to request all studies from the ultrasound machines so we don’t have to go back and manually transfer everything one at a time?

You can certainly drive Orthanc through its REST API to automate such transfers:
https://book.orthanc-server.com/users/rest.html

More precisely, do a C-FIND from Orthanc to GE to retrieve the list of the studies using “/modalities/{…}/query”, then do a call to “/queries/{…}/retrieve” to instruct GE to send the image to Orthanc:
https://book.orthanc-server.com/users/rest.html#performing-query-retrieve-and-find-with-rest

If you have many studies, you might have to loop over ranges of “StudyDate” (whose length is, say, 1 month), then run the procedure above for each of the ranges. Python is the perfect language to this end.

It has been several years (3-4) but I thought I remembered that the GE Logiq US machines had a way to send a whole list of studies to a particular destination. At the time we had local storage only and I needed all of the images off of the US machine. I don’t think we had someone send them individually and I know for a fact we didn’t q/r them from the PACS.

If you can’t find a way to bulk send via DICOM then the other reply that suggests Q/R them is your best bet.