Allocating multiple storage directories?

Hi all,

I found this thread from last year on dynamic storage allocation: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/orthanc-users/WetkJVJB-w8/4LLhe6osTIkJ.

I am curious whether anyone has developed any solutions or a plugin for this type of use case since that post. I am anticipating (eventually) running out of space on the partition that I originally allocated as an image data repository, and I would like to be able to attach an additional storage locations to grow the capacity while preserving Q/R functionality.

Thanks for any thoughts on implementing this.

Derek-

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge, such a plugin has not been developed yet since that post.

Obviously, I warmly invite you to contribute to Orthanc by developing it by yourself :wink:

Regards,
Sébastien-

Thanks, Sebastian. I might just try to solve it at the file system level, and use a more flexible partitioning scheme like BTRFS. Regardless, I will update the thread if I figure out a reasonable solution.

D-

I was going to ask this question as well: If we fill a storage volume with images stored in a directory, how can we add more storage space? The nicest solution would be to have a parameter in the configuration file allowing the additional diectories, example below:

// Path to the directory that holds the heavyweight files
  // (i.e. the raw DICOM instances)
  "StorageDirectory" : "/data/OrthancStorage",
  "StorageDirectory2" : "/data2/OrthancStorage",
However, one also needs to keep in mind the limitations of the hardware available to manage the front end tasks, and if other facilities are needed. You can easily build a system with lot of storage, but if the database engine cannot manage millions of files it will be useless. I think Orthanc is suitable for small clinics with no need for integrated reports etc. If however you wish to provide storage for a full hospital environment, a commercial PACS is probably required.

Hi,

I was going to ask this question as well: If we fill a storage volume with images stored in a directory, how can we add more storage space? The nicest solution would be to have a parameter in the configuration file allowing the additional diectories, example below:

No, the nicest solution would actually be to use an enterprise-ready database engine, such as PostgreSQL:
http://www.orthanc-server.com/static.php?page=postgresql

Such DBMS come with built-in scalability, which allow your system administrators to grow the storage space, without any modification to Orthanc.

That being said, a storage plugin could also be implemented to meet your desires about multiple storage directories.

I think Orthanc is suitable for small clinics with no need for integrated reports etc. If however you wish to provide storage for a full hospital environment, a commercial PACS is probably required.

Orthanc is a Vendor Neutral Archive (VNA) that is also suitable for large hospitals, provided a carefully-scaled enterprise DBMS is used:

Regards,
Sébastien-